Saturday, November 15, 2008

Scenes from England

The Birthday Boy. The button says, "I Survived Damn Near Everything."

My Nanna. Next June will be their 70th wedding anniversary.

I got to know some of my relatives a little better:
Seems as though I've known them all my life, after all. The dogs are definitely part of the family.

The evil flat coated retriever of Torrington Commons.
aka Mack.

People who think English food is bad or boring have obviously never eaten in the right places. And many pubs still allow dogs, which is just cool.

In a recent post (caused by me), Barry over at Staring at Empty Pages indicated that a never-ending loop will start due to Newton's Third Law of Pub-Motion - “For every beer treat, there is an equal and opposite beer re-treat.” Definitely true. There wasn't a sober evening while my cousins were around. I actually got up and sang karaoke in a pub one night, which I'm sure embarrassed my brother. The same song I always sing if I'm drunk enough and there's a karaoke machine nearby. The Shoop Shoop Song. My cousin Sarah's daughter Lauren (does that make Lauren my second cousin?) found it on the list after I cery varefully staggered over and couldn't find it. So of course, I had to sing it.

Going back: I flew Virgin Atlantic and took this picture of the seat in front of me just before we got to Greenland

9 comments:

Barry Leiba said...

Looks like a great trip. My wishes for many more visits to Dad.

Laurie said...

Grandad doesn't speak very clearly anymore, although his brain is still sharp. When I left, he very clearly said, "See you soon. And next time bring Bill." :-)

Barry Leiba said...

Glrf. I typed "Dad" instead of "Granddad". Oh, well.

[The CAPTCHA this time is "imusno", which I think must be a variation on "No Imus!"]

Laurie said...

Well he is Dad to my mother and her five siblings...

Glrf? Gay and Lesbian Rowing Federation?

Barry Leiba said...

Glrf: a random, incoherent vocalization... an attempt at onomatopoeia.

Laurie said...

I usually go with Arrrgh (or Aaaaaargh). That serves two purposes: as an incoherent vocalization and as homage to the FSM.

Kia said...

Do all dogs in England have glowing eyes (like Mack)? And are allowed into the pubs?

Hairslave 24/7 said...

You know, to illustrate the good food in England, you probably shouldn't post a picture that looks like every meal I ever had at your family's house!

Laurie said...

Hey! See if we ever invite YOU over for dinner again :-ppppppfffffth
I'm telling my mother on you!

Oh, and Kia - Dogs are allowed in some pubs, and Mack's eyes seem to be particularly reflective. He even startled my aunt when he looked up at her from under the table. At a pub...