Friday, August 29, 2008

Dear Elizabeth Dole,

The Friendly Atheist brought attention to this press release by Senator Elizabeth Dole of North Carolina in which she attacked her opponent, Kay Hagan, because Ms. Hagan had the gall to attend a fundraiser held by leaders of the Secular Coalition of America. The coalition is apparently one of the "wacky left-wing outside groups bent on policies that would horrify most North Carolinians if they knew about it." Yes, a coalition that is trying to improve the civic situation of citizens with a naturalistic worldview is just scary.

Dole Campaign Communications Director Dan McLagan goes on to state, "You can tell a lot about a person by their friends and these are friends most North Carolinians would not be comfortable having over for dinner." No wonder atheists, humanists, freethinkers and other nontheistic Americans stay closeted. This is the e-mail I wrote and cc'd to the Hagan campaign:

Dear Elizabeth Dole campaign,

I am a resident of the State of California, but I donated $50 to the Kay Hagan campaign last night because I was completely disgusted by an August 26th press release from Elizabeth Dole trying to paint Kay Hagan in a negative light because she chose to associate with people like me - a secular humanist/atheist. Elizabeth Dole certainly doesn't know me, but apparently would not feel comfortable having dinner with me. I am a 43 year old happily married mother of three college students who donates to numerous charities, donates blood, pays taxes, plays in a community band, loves life, and is proud to be an American citizen. I also have extremely good table manners.

I am generally not very politically active - I have only contributed money to a political campaign once before - but this outrageous press release shocked me into action. Imagine the outcry if you had said this about any other minority group. It certainly makes your smear-meter laughable. I am not anti-religious, but I am anti-bigot. Until yesterday, I had never even heard of Kay Hagan, but I am a supporter now, thanks to you.

Sincerely

Laurie ******

UPDATE - The Elizabeth Dole Commmittee e-mailed me back. With a form letter:

Thank you for contacting The Elizabeth Dole Committee. Senator Dole appreciates hearing from people regarding issues that are important to them. We will be sure to pass your message along to her. If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact us at anytime. Thanks again for contacting The Elizabeth Dole Committee and may God bless you and your family.

2 comments:

Kia said...

Uh, I think they were not paying too much attention when they read your comments. That is, if they read them at all. Therefore, the "God bless you and your family" line in their response. Do your good table manners preclude the throwing of rotten fruits and vegetables in their direction?

Laurie said...

I didn't think they would actually read them - just hoped, and I'm sure the response is a form letter. Unfortunately, no throwing allowed :-p